I started making my own multi-purpose spray cleaner several months ago. You may ask: Why make your own household cleaner? It’s only pennies to make compared to store bought cleaners, really easy to make, no toxic chemicals, and you don’t have to buy more plastic to add to the landfills since you can reuse plastic spray bottles making sure to label them correctly.
Also, I can make the spray any scent I am in the mood for. I use essential oils for their antibacterial properties and because they smell nice too. I’ve used lavender, lemongrass, peppermint and red thyme. I like the lemongrass or peppermint essential oil for my kitchen spray and lavender or red thyme for my bathroom spray.
I have tried other so-called ‘green cleaners’ from the store but I don’t like the smell and they cost anywhere from 25-45 cents per ounce. This homemade cleaner works equally as well for a fraction of the cost. This homemade cleaner will run you anywhere from 1-3 cents per ounce.
You can use this cleaner on most surfaces. I wouldn’t recommend it on marble however, since the vinegar may harm the finish. I have used it on glass and my hardwood floors with excellent results. It also works great for cleaning my grout on my kitchen counters and shower walls since the hydrogen peroxide slightly bleaches the grout (I have colored grout in my kitchen and white grout in my bathroom and it cleans without affecting the colors).
Homemade Multi-Purpose Spray Cleaner
Spray bottle – either rinse out an old one or buy a new one. (I get mine from the Dollar Store)
- 2 cups water (tap water is just fine)
- 3/4 cup white vinegar (I buy mine in bulk at Costco for just over $3.00 for 2 gallons)
- 3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide (also purchased at Costco, 2 qts for $2.09)
- 2 tsp liquid castille soap
- 20 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 20 – 30 drops essential oil of choice (Lavender, Lemongrass, Peppermint, etc., either alone or in combination)
1. Add water, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle.
2. Add the castille soap and drops of essential oil, cap, and shake the bottle.